Thursday, May 3, 2012

Seriously Good Braised Chicken

Thank God I’m unemployed and have plenty of time to watch my friends on the Food Network! They give me wonderful ideas. I wonder if my future employer will mind if I watch a few hours of my friends, Giada, Guy and Ina, during the day. I’ll bring that up during my next interview. I’m sure they’ll be flexible. I’m willing to give up my time with GMA and Kelly so they should give up something too, right??
My friend, Giada, taught me how to make braised ribs and they have been a big hit around here, so I was thinking, what else can I prepare the same way? Well, thank goodness I’m practically a restaurant chef and came up with chicken thighs! We love the thighs because they are juicy and flavorful, but you could certainly use breasts or whatever you choose.  Now let’s get down to making my Braised Chicken.
Oh also, you’ll need a Dutch oven for this recipe. Giada told me  how much I needed one and she’s never led me astray!
Let's get started.....Put a little olive oil in the bottom of the Dutch oven, add the chicken and brown a few minutes on each side. When nicely browned remove chicken temporarily.
Now add the chopped veggies:
  • 2 ribs celery
  • 3-4 carrots
  • 1 med onion
  • 1-2 tomatoes, I only had one this time


Add more olive oil to the veggies if needed. I usually need a touch more. After the veggies have softened add 2 cloves of minced garlic and 2 T of tomato paste. If you haven’t found the tomato paste in the tube (like toothpaste), you don’t know what you are missing. It’s awesome. Just squeeze out what you need and stick the tube back in the fridge. Look for it!
After veggies are soft and you’ve added garlic and tomato paste, stir and let cook a minute or so, then deglaze with a little red wine. Just pour in about 1/2 c of red wine and get all the yummy bits off the bottom of the pan.
Now add the following:
a touch of red pepper flakes (about 1/4 t)
2 bay leaves
1 bunch of fresh thyme (about 5 sprigs)
1 sprig of fresh rosemary
Place the chicken back in the pan and pour chicken stock about half way up the meat. Of course, I had some homemade stock on hand. It really is more flavorful.
Bring to a simmer on the stovetop, then cover and put in a 350 degree oven and cook 1 1/2 hours. If you use larger chicken pieces (like breasts), you might need to cook for a few more minutes.
Take out and enjoy! No need to make any sides, everything you need is in the pot! Be sure to use some of the broth, it is so delicious. You might want to serve with rice just so you can pour on top! Yes, it is THAT good!!
Here's the finished product.....yummers!

No comments:

Post a Comment