Monday, May 28, 2012

Easy Baked Onion Rings



We LOVE onion rings, but don’t eat them that often because they are usually heavily breaded and then deep fried. Not that either of those is a bad thing, but when you are trying to eat a little healthier, every little bit helps. I loved this recipe (thank you Pinterest) because it uses whole wheat bread crumbs and they are baked, not fried. It’s a baked vegetable so it must be good for me and have no calories, right? Well, that’s what I like to tell myself so don’t burst my bubble please.

I also loved this recipe because it was quick and easy. You basically slice onions, dip in flour, dip in egg, dip in bread crumbs and then.....oh wait, that’s it! See, anyone can make these. Want to know all of the details?? Okay, here we go.

Ingredients:
  • 1-2 medium yellow onions. I had Vidalia onions on hand and used two of those.
  • 1/2 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
  • 2 eggs
  • seasoning (whatever you want). I used a little salt, pepper, paprika and garlic powder

Directions:


1. Cut ends off of the onion and then slice into 1/2 inch wide sections. Remove each ring from the sections and place in cold water for 5 minutes or so.
2. Preheat oven to 450ºF.
3. Rinse onions and shake dry. Place in bowl with flour, shake off excess, then dip in egg and dredge through bread crumbs. Shake off excess. Place on the greased baking sheet.

4. Heavily spray with cooking spray and bake for 7-8 minutes. Flip each onion ring over and bake for another 5-6 minutes. I gave the tops a spray when I flipped them too.
See, sounds pretty easy doesn't it? They were really good, but cool off quickly so I would plan to serve immediately.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment