Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Lemon Blueberry Muffins


I’m addicted to blueberries, I’ll admit it! After making the best pound cake EVER (see Blueberry Lemon Pound cake recipe) I had to find something else to make with blueberries, and a little hint of lemon didn’t hurt either! So of course, I went to Pinterest! Seriously, get on there and check out the recipes. I have found some great dishes that I’ve found pinning. Some how, some way I came across the recipe below which is actually from a magazine. What recipes are original anyway, right?  Also since my husband and I have been trying to eat a little healthier (don’t judge me by my truffles and pound cake) I decided to adjust this one a little bit and try to make it a little healthier, but still delicious. These muffins were so stinking delicious! I’m not even kidding! So full of blueberries and flavor. My changes didn’t take a bit of flavor out so why waste the calories? So yummy, make them! 


Here’s the recipe with my adjustments are noted. I didn’t make the glaze (extra calories), but I’ve included the recipe with that in case you want the extra calories. 


Lemon Blueberry Muffins
Source: Simple and Delicious Magazine via Pinterest


1/2 cup butter, softened (I used light butter)
1 cup sugar (I changed to 1/2 c splenda, 1/2 c sugar)
2 eggs
1/2 cup 2% milk
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons grated lemon peel

2 cups all-purpose flour (I used 1/4 c wheat and 1 3/4 all purpose)
2 teaspoons baking powder
Dash salt
2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries (I used frozen)



GLAZE: (Optional)
1-1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon butter, melted
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract



Directions:


In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the milk, lemon juice and peel. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture just until moistened. Fold in blueberries. How delicious does this batter look?

By the way, the batter was delicious, I practically licked the bowl! Okay, fine, I actually DID lick the bowl.


Fill paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full or just grease your muffin tins with cooking spray. I was out of muffin cups so I just sprayed them well and they came out fine. 

Bake at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in muffin comes out clean. I cooked mine for about 22 minutes so start checking after 20 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. The directions asked me to wait 5 minutes and cool on a rack, but I popped that muffin in my mouth after about two minutes and it was soooooooo delicious!


Look at the inside of that muffin, how could I wait?? The amount of blueberries is ridiculous! So yummy. I'm going to go eat one now.


For glaze: In a small bowl, combine the confectioners’ sugar, lemon juice, butter and vanilla; drizzle over warm muffins.


Give this recipe a try, you won’t regret it!

1 comment:

  1. So I tried this recipe this morning. The recipe was easy and the muffins were very very tasty. And you're right, they really are mostly blueberries on the inside! I'll definitely make them again.

    ReplyDelete