Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Mac & Cheese Please!

What’s a better comfort food than macaroni and cheese?? I can’t think of any. Combine this with my Gorgonzola Meatloaf and you are back to wanting to slap somebody it’s sooooooo good. Yummers!  This recipe is so cheesy and creamy and yummy. I just can’t think of a word that doesn’t end in Y to describe it. My husband loved the crunchy topping that the bread crumbs added to this already delicious dish. I know it’s kind of hard to make mac and cheese healthy and I’m not claiming this is a healthy dish, but I did make a few changes to the recipe I found online to make it a little healthier. Every calorie counts, right? Plus my changes make me feel a little better about going back for seconds! Here’s my version along with a picture of the finished product. Looks tasty, right?

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 cups uncooked whole grain rotini
  • 5 tablespoons butter, divided
  • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 1/2 cups milk (I used skim milk)
  • 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
  • 2 ounces processed cheese food (I used light Velveeta – I know, light Velveeta sounds ridiculous, but it does exist), cubed
  • 2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs (I changed up to whole wheat bread crumbs)

Directions

Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. It will be very thick. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Add the cheeses, stirring until cheese is melted.
Meanwhile drain pasta.  Transfer to a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Pour cheese sauce over macaroni; mix well.
Melt the remaining butter; add the bread crumbs and mix together. Sprinkle over top. Bake, uncovered, at 375 degrees F for 30 minutes or until heated through and topping is golden brown.
And here it is ready to go in the oven, before it bubbled and dirtied up my pan.
Make it, you won't be disappointed.

1 comment: