Thursday, May 10, 2012

Lemon Blueberry Pound Cake = Heaven!

Holy Smokes, this is a delicious cake!!! I’m not even kidding. It is so dang good! I won’t say that it will make you want to slap someone, but you know I’m thinking it. I’m from Georgia and love anything Georgia. (I left my heart in Dixie) I found this recipe in a “Welcome to GA” magazine at a rest stop on one of our trips back and forth from VA to GA. It’s from Georgia’s number one tea room (so they said, but I've never been there so how great can it be??), The Potted Geranium in Greensboro, GA. I’ve had the magazine a while and decided to thumb threw it the other day and came across this recipe. Boy am I glad I did. I’m having girlfriends over tomorrow night and they’ll all get to sample this new goldmine I found. Of course, my husband and I had to go ahead and sample it. I wouldn’t want to serve bad food to my friends. I’m a giver like that. This was so delicious right out of the oven. I didn’t even wait to dust it with powdered sugar, it didn’t need it. If you are looking for a new cake recipe, THIS IS IT!!

Here you go, let's get started on the details.
Ingredients:
3 cups all purpose flour
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1 cup butter
3 Tablespoons lemon zest
2 cups sugar, divided
6 large eggs, separated
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
8 ounces sour cream
1 pound frozen blueberries, tossed with 1 T flour
powdered sugar for dusting

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a large Bundt pan and set aside.
Sift together flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
Cream together butter, lemon zest and 1 3/4 cup of sugar (reserving 1/4 c) at medium-high speed  until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks, 2 at a time, beating just until blended after each addition. Add vanilla, and beat to incorporate.  Add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with the sour cream, beating at low speed, beginning and ending with flour mixture. My friend, Paula Deen, says if you start and finish with your dry ingredients that you’ll have a fluffy batter and I always do what Paula says. I mean, if someone can do THAT much with butter and bacon, she must be pretty smart. Set this mixture aside.
In second mixing bowl, beat egg whites at high speed with an electric mixer until foamy.
 
Gradually add remaining 1/4 c sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. I finally added pictures so you could see the stiff peaks and how these steps should look.
 
 
 Fold a third of the egg white mixture into cake batter. Fold in remaining egg whites until almost incorporated; carefully fold in blueberries. Doesn't that batter look delicious?? BTW, it tastes delicious too!
 
 
 
Pour into Bundt pan.
Bake at 350 for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. I only baked 1 hour so check after an hour.

Cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes. Turn cake out on wire rack over sheet pan. Allow to cool completely.  Serve with dusting of powdered sugar.
Like I said, I didn’t wait on dusting with powdered sugar. This cake is so pretty after it’s sliced, if you are having guests over, slice it first. It makes a much better presentation that way.  Enjoy!!

1 comment:

  1. This pound cake is amazing! I was lucky enough to sample the original recipe from Dawn. It is moist and flavorful!

    ReplyDelete