Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Fried Smashed Potatoes - So Good!

My friend, Giada, was making these one day while I was watching the Food Network. I sure am going to miss watching the Food Network all day when I go back to work. Do you think they’ll let me watch it a couple of hours a day until I can wean off of it?? I really think it’s only fair. I’m going to miss Ina and Giada and Paula and all of my other friends. I’ll ask about it on my first day. BTW, in case you haven’t heard....I GOT A JOB! Yep, I am going to be a contributing member to society again. Well, let’s just say I have a job and we’ll go from there. I promise my blog won’t suffer. I will try to blog a couple of times a week, but let’s face it, I’ll be happy if I can blog once my first week! Once I get the hang of working again after 8.5 months of unemployment, I’ll get my groove back. Stay tuned and don’t give up! Many more good recipes to come.

(In case you keep up with my blog, you know I have been working for a few weeks now. I wrote a few blogs ahead so I wouldn't disappoint my readers!)
Back to my friend, Giada. She was whipping these up one day and I needed a good idea for a side item because my sister and brother-in-law were coming for a visit. He’s a little (okay, A LOT) picky so I try to stick to the basics but dress them up a little. These little potatoes seemed perfect for that. I mean, come on, who wouldn’t love potatoes with a little oil, parsley and lemon drizzled on top?? These really are tasty. I’ve made them about three times since Giada taught me how to make them. Add them to a family dinner, and I think you’ll add them again and again. Let’s get started.....
Ingredients for the Potatoes:
  • 2 pounds baby or fingerling potatoes (I used little red potatoes)
  • 1/4 cup olive oil, plus extra as needed
  • 3 cloves garlic, peeled and halved

Dressing:

  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (I used a little less lemon juice, it was a little too lemony for me the first time I made them. Try using 1-2 T, depending on your taste)
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
  • 2 lemons, zested
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Directions:
For the potatoes: Put the potatoes in an 8-quart stockpot with enough cold water to cover by at least 2 inches. Bring the water to a boil over medium heat and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 20 to 25 minutes. Drain the potatoes in a colander and allow to dry for 5 minutes. Using the palm of your hand, gently press the potatoes until lightly smashed. I smashed on a sheet of wax paper. See below.


In a large, nonstick skillet, heat 1/4 cup of oil over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant and lightly brown, about 1 minute. Remove the garlic and discard. In batches, add the potatoes and cook, without stirring, until the bottoms turn golden brown, about 5 to 8 minutes.


Using a spatula, turn the potatoes over and cook, drizzling with oil, if needed, until golden brown on the other side for another 5 to 8 minutes. Mine fell apart a lot when I flipped. They might not have looked as pretty, but they sure did taste good!

For the dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, lemon juice, parsley, thyme, and lemon zest. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.

Isn't my tiny wisk cute??

Spoon the dressing over the potatoes and toss gently until coated. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.

Transfer the potatoes to a serving bowl and serve. It kind of looks like a hot mess, but trust me, they were delicious!

4 comments:

  1. Yum! I cannot wait to make this. I'm currently obsessed with any recipe that includes thyme.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too Amy! I love, love, love thyme!! You'll love these for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this last night and it was fabulous! Thanks so much for blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you enjoyed them. I'm going to have to try that dressing on other veggies now!

    ReplyDelete