Thursday, July 19, 2012

Basil Chicken

Have I mentioned that I love me some Food Network??? Well, I really do. This recipe isn’t from one of my regulars though, this is from Sandra Lee’s Money Saving Meals. She has good stuff too. This might be the first recipe I’ve tried of hers though. You know, I’m always so busy with Giada and Ina. They do take up a lot of my time.....well, they used to before I had a job! Sigh.....it’s fine though. I can cook, work, blog and and make it all work! See, my blog isn’t suffering. You are still getting great recipes. Right?? I think I heard a “right” out there! Thanks!
Let’s get started on this yummy Basil Chicken. I used brown rice so the rice and chicken kind of blend together on the plate for the picture and it doesn’t look at eye-appealing as it should. I should have used a colored plate to make it pop! I’ll try that next time. Okay, here’s what you need to get started:
I thought a visual aid might help with some of the ingredients. I wasn't sure what a serrano pepper looked like myself so hopefully this will help you too.
Ingredients:
  • 2 cups white rice (I used brown)
  • 2 chicken breasts, sliced
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil (use more oil as needed)
  • 1 medium onion, sliced
  • 1 green bell pepper, sliced
  • 1 small serrano chile pepper, sliced in half
  • 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
  • 4 teaspoons brown sugar
  • 4 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce
  • 4 teaspoons fish sauce
  • 1 cup fresh basil leaves (which I picked from my herb garden!)
  • 1 lime, juiced
  • Directions:
  • Cook rice according to instructions on package.
    Remove the chicken breasts from the bone and slice into thin strips. In a large wok or skillet over high heat, add the oil. When the oil is hot, add the chicken and stir-fry until it is almost completely cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes. I used chicken that I had previously cooked making my homemade chicken stock so I started the onions and peppers first and then added the cooked chicken. If you are using raw chicken, start with cooking chicken first. Add the onions and peppers and cook until slightly softened but still crisp, about 3 minutes. I like mine a little softer so I cooked a little longer. Add the chile and garlic and cook 1 minute.




    To a bowl, add 4 tablespoons water, brown sugar, soy sauce, and fish sauce. Stir and pour over the chicken and onions and cook for another minute. Add the basil and remove from the heat once it has wilted. Add the lime juice into the chicken mixture and stir.


    Serve hot over rice and Enjoy!

1 comment: