Thursday, July 5, 2012

Yellow Squash, Zucchini & Feta Casserole

One of my favorite casseroles ever! I found this recipe on allrecipes.com, made a few changes, threw on some feta, and now it’s perfect! I LOVE squash, especially the ones picked fresh from my daddy’s garden. They just taste better. I love yellow and zucchini squash so this recipe was right up my alley. Well, to even take it further, I love tomatoes cooked in anything and feta is my favorite cheese so this just got even better when I threw the the feta on top. This casserole has all of my loves, so it is perfection!
This is easy to assemble, just like a vegetable lasagna. I slice the vegetables length-wise, but you can certainly slice them any way you’d like. It will still taste delicious. My dad made this and added a layer of Vidalia onion. That’s probably pretty tasty too. Feel free to throw that on if you’d like.
Here’s what you need to get started:


    
    Nice size squash, right?? Thanks Terry.
    
  • Ingredients

  • 2 medium yellow squash
  • 2 large zucchini
  • 2 large tomatoes, sliced
  • 2 cups grated Italian blend cheese (or really whatever you like)
  • 1/2 cup butter, divided
  • 2 T Italian seasoning
  • 1/4 c feta cheese (or really how ever much you’d like. Sometimes I use more because it makes me happy)
  • salt and pepper to taste

Directions

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F

Cut the zucchini and squash into long, thin layers. Lightly grease a 7x11-inch baking dish and layer the squash, zucchini, and tomatoes into the baking dish.





Sprinkle with grated cheese and add pats of butter between each layer of vegetables, and season each layer with salt, ground black pepper to taste, and Italian seasoning.

Continue this layering process until all the vegetables are used up and top this off with the remaining butter and grated cheese and feta.



Cover and bake at 375 degrees F for 20 to 30 minutes, or until vegetables are to desired tenderness and cheese is melted and bubbly.

Take off lid during the last 10 minutes so the cheese will brown.

Looks yummy, doesn't it??
Now all you have to do is eat and enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Can't wait to make this! I have squash and zucchini in the fridge and needed a new recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will definitely love this one Amy. I thought about trying it with a little goat cheese on top too....that's right up your alley!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my gosh, i just made this recipe last night for company, and it was fabulous!! There's not a bit of it left and Alan was actually eating the tidbits that escaped the serving spatula out of the bowl! thanks Dawnie!

    ReplyDelete