Monday, August 6, 2012

The Perfect Pork Roast (plus a bonus BBQ recipe)

This might look like a tan brick in the photo, but it was super tender and juicy once I cut it up....trust me!
See, I might have a full-time job again, but I can still find time to make great meals.....even if it is in a crockpot! I have always loved my crockpot and the love affair continues. This is honestly one of the best pork roasts you’ll ever put in your mouth. So flavorful and moist. Make it once and you’ll believe me and want to share the recipe with your friends, I did.

Now don’t let the ingredients scare you off. There is coffee and bourbon in the recipe. Yes, it sounds like a strange combination. I don’t drink either, but I put them in the crockpot because I’m afraid to leave anything out and chance losing the delicious flavor. This is such a great recipe and I don’t want to change one thing. I have always loved crockpot cooking and this is a great recipe made just for the crockpot. The best part is that it can be two recipes in one. You can have roast one night and then make BBQ with the left overs. You will also love the BBQ sandwiches. So juicy and tasty. However, if you love the roast too much you might not want to make the BBQ with the remaining at all. I made the roast tonight and my husband doesn’t want me to make BBQ, he wants to have it as roast a few more times. BTW, we’re still debating that point!
Okay, enough chit chat, let’s get started. Here’s what you need:

Ingredients

  • 2 1/2 pounds boneless pork roast
  • salt and ground black pepper to taste
  • 2 cups strong brewed coffee
  • 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 tablespoons bourbon whiskey (optional)
  • 10 cloves garlic (yep, 10 cloves!)
  • 3 cups beef broth
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

Directions

Season the roast with salt and pepper. Place the seasoned roast, coffee, Worcestershire sauce, bourbon whiskey, garlic, beef broth, water, onion, and red pepper flakes in a slow cooker set to LOW. Cook 6 to 8 hours. I cooked mine 8 hours on low and it was perfect. Since I have a job now, I got everything prepared the night before, put the crockpot, with everything in it, in the fridge overnight. How could the roast not be perfect with all that marinating time AND cooking it in the juices??
When roast is fully cooked, transfer to a large cutting board, and save some juice to use later as a nice au jus. Should pork technically have an au jus?? I don’t really know, but it was nice to spoon over the roast when serving. I also put a lot on the left over roast to keep it moist in the fridge.
Now here’s how you get two different meals with the work for one.  Shred the remaining roast into strands using two forks. You can either just heat all of this in the microwave or return meat to the crockpot. Stir in  barbeque sauce, and continue cooking on LOW for 1 to 3 hours. I guarantee you this will be the best BBQ sandwich you’ve ever tasted. It is so moist and delicious! Now I love me some Kraft BBQ sauce so I start with that and step it up a little.

Here’s what I do, it’s not an exact recipe though.
Pour about half the bottle in a bowl and add the following:
splash of lemon juice
about a tablespoon or Worcestershire sauce
squirt of yellow mustard
squirt of ketchup
a little granulated garlic
salt and pepper to taste

Or just use your favorite BBQ sauce as is!
Pour this sauce over pulled pork and stir together. You have just created the BEST BBQ sandwich you’ll ever taste! Yummy!!

If I win the battle to make BBQ this time, I'll post pictures of that soon. Let's just be honest...I WILL post pics of BBQ very soon. :-)

And the BBQ pic is posted! Better late than never!

 

1 comment: