Thursday, August 16, 2012

Make your own Hummingbird Nectar

See my little hummingbird on the feeder enjoying my homemade nectar....

If you’re like me, you love the hummingbirds to visit your yard. I love to to see them fluttering around my feeders. I used to always buy the red food and would constantly run out. Well, buy the red stuff no longer! You can make the food yourself at home and it’s super simple.....and cheap. The food doesn’t have to be red either. If it’s in a hummingbird feeder, which usually has red decorations, they will come. Trust me! Here’s how you make it:
4 cups of water
1 cup of sugar
 
 
Bring the water to a boil. Remove from heat, add sugar and stir until dissolved. Cool and fill the feeders. It’s that easy!
You can store the excess in the fridge for later use. It is important to the health of the birds to keep hummingbird feeders clean and the nectar fresh. It is recommended that you clean the feeders every few days and fill with fresh nectar. You may use a 10% bleach solution if you rinse well.
Now you can have hummingbird nectar available any time you need it.
See the hummingbird in the air to the right of the feeder? So cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment