Thursday, April 19, 2012

Yummy Goat Cheese and Zucchini Appetizer from Pinterest

Don't you just love Pinterest?? For a recent party with my peeps I decided to make a few appetizers that I found on Pinterest. Yes, I have a lot of time on my hands! I LOVE Pinterest for recipes. So many great ideas out there.  Find it, love it, share it, pin it! I’m not really sure what to do on all of my other boards, but the recipes I’ve figured out. One of the recipes that made my mouth water were these goat cheese and zucchini appetizers. I love me some goat cheese and it’s just a bonus to have it paired with zucchini. Throw in some roasted red pepper and it's the holy trinity!  (Found that suggestion on Pinterest too). How delicious does that sound?? I’ll tell you how delicious.....VERY VERY Delicious! Look how pretty they look on the platter too.

Want the recipe? Here you go:
Should make about 20-25 bites. It really depends on how many you eat while you are making them. I kept taking a little sample here and there.

Ingredients:
  • 4 medium zucchini
  • 8-ounce log of plain goat cheese
  • 2 green onions, white and green parts, finely chopped
  • 1 sprig fresh rosemary, leaves removed and finely chopped
  • A few sprigs fresh thyme, leaves removed and finely chopped
  • Toothpicks 



Directions:

Make the herb goat cheese - In a small bowl, combine the goat cheese, green onions, rosemary and thyme.  Cover and return to refrigerator until ready to use.  I’m sure dried herbs or goat cheese with herbs already added would be fine, but since I have an herb garden in my kitchen now that I'm practically a chef, I added fresh.
Slice the ends off each zucchini.  Thinly slice the zucchini into long flat strips using a mandolin slicer. Discard slices that are mostly peel.  (I don’t have a mandolin slicer because they scare me so I used one of those cheese slices with wire on the end. It sliced them perfectly thin and I still have all my limbs).
Grill or broil the zucchini slices for a few minutes on each side, until slightly browned. I didn't have time to crank up the grill so I broiled for a few minutes.  This will make the zucchini pliable enough to work with. Remove cooked zucchini slices onto paper towels.  Let cool for a few minutes.

Spread a spoonful of the herb goat cheese onto each zucchini slice, leaving a bit of zucchini on one end without cheese.  If you want to add a slice of roasted red pepper, do so here and place it in the center of the zucchini slice.


Tip: it's best to have the goat cheese at room temperature before you spread it. The zucchini tends to want to tear a little so be gentle.

Roll up each zucchini slice towards the cheese-less end, secure with a toothpick and voila!


No comments:

Post a Comment