Friday, April 27, 2012

Not Your Mama's Meatloaf!

Boy was this dinner delicious! I know, I know, I am starting to sound redundant, but I can’t help it, I am learning to cook some good stuff! The hubby has been quite pleased with my creations lately and I want to share them with you guys. Aren’t you happy??  Just look at it, doesn't it look delicious?
I went to Dream Dinners (one of those places where you prepare your meals and take them out in freezer bags) a couple of years ago and one of the items I prepared was a Gorgonzola Meatloaf. When I finally cooked it at home, we loved it. Of course we don’t get to walk out with the recipes so I set out to figure this one out myself. Obviously mine is so much better! Here’s what I think is the perfect meatloaf recipe. I mean, what isn’t better with some cheese, right??? This could be done with Gorgonzola or Feta, or really whatever you please. These two cheese options just go nicely with the other ingredients. Here we go......
Gorgonzola Meatloaf
Ingredients
1 pound ground turkey
1/2 pound ground beef (of course you could use all beef, but I was making it a tad bit healthier)
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 t salt
1 t pepper
1 T Italian seasoning
1/2 t granulated garlic
2 eggs
1 can tomato sauce
1-2 cups marinara sauce (any kind)
1 cup gorgonzola cheese (or feta)
Directions
First of all, let’s get all of these ingredients mixed together.  Dump the meat into a large bowl and get ready to get your hands dirty. Add eggs, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, and garlic. It’s easiest to use your hands and get in there and mix it all together. After everything is mixed well, but don’t mixed too long, add the 1 can of tomato sauce and mix just a bit longer.
Grease your meatloaf pan and put 1/2 of the meat mixture in the bottom of the pan. Shape to the pan (love my Pampered Chef loaf pan). Sprinkle the cup of gorgonzola over this layer of your meat mixture.
Now put the rest of the meat mixture on top and shape to the pan. Once this is complete top the meatloaf with the  marinara sauce. It depends on how saucy you like your meatloaf, but I used close to 2 cups on the top.
Bake at 350 for 1 hour 15 minutes to 1 hour and 30 minutes. Check the center with a meat thermometer to make sure it is done.
I served this with broccoli and home made macaroni and cheese (recipe coming later) and I wanted to lick my plate afterwards! Of course we ate to much and groaned later, but it was worth every bite!
Give this recipe a try and let me know what you think. Also, I wrote this recipe from scratch so let me know if I left out some super important steps! Makes sense to me, but I just made it.


Happy Baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment