Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Wilted Spinach w/Tomatoes & Basil

 
I’m always looking for a quick side dish for weeknight meals. Cooking fresh is a plus so when my friend , Giada, taught me how to make wilted spinach with tomatoes that was perfect! Thank goodness girlfriends share recipes. What would I have done without my girlfriend? Thank you Giada! This recipe was quick and easy and full of flavor. I had no idea that I liked spinach so much until I actually started cooking it. Don't try to make me eat it raw though, that's not going to happen! If you haven’t given spinach a try, this is the dish to start with. Did I mention how quick and easy it was too?? I threw this together in minutes and it really adds to your weeknight meal. It makes it look like you put a lot of effort into perparing dinner, but you didn't really have to.......so fresh and flavorful too! Let’s get to it.....
 
Ingredients:
 
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 large or 2 small shallots, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
1 pound fresh spinach leaves
1/2 teaspoon each kosher salt, black pepper
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/3 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
fresh Parmesan cheese for garnish

Directions:

In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the shallots and cook for 2-3 minutes, until soft. I didn't have shallots so I used a small onion. It was still delish!


Add the garlic and cook 30 seconds, until aromatic. Add the tomatoes and cook for 2 minutes.


In batches, add the spinach and cook until wilted, about 5 minutes.


Season with salt and pepper. Stir in the balsamic vinegar and basil. Simmer 1 minute more and serve. I opted to grate some fresh Parmesan cheese. It only makes it better! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment