Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Chicken Florentine Pasta

Who knew I’d be posting so many recipes that contained spinach?? If you ask my parents, they sure wouldn’t think it would be me. I was such a picky eater and never tried anything new. Now I love all veggies....once you cook them. Don’t try to serve me raw veggies. I’ll break out in a rash! ;-)  Now I love sautéed spinach, I especially love it wilted in pasta. Yum-my! Throw in some cooked tomatoes and then you’re in business. That is such a yummy combination! Look at that photo, how beautiful is that??
I just happened to be browsing my girlfriend, Ree’s (aka The Pioneer Woman), blog the other day and found this delicious recipe. It had all of my favorite ingredients....Pasta (#1), tomatoes, spinach and cheese. Ree used parmesan cheese, but I changed it up to feta because there is nothing better than pasta with tomatoes and feta. That perks up my taste buds! One of my all time favorites!
This is an easy dish to make, yet it is so full of flavor and so good for you too. Again, I shock myself when I post healthy recipes. I’m practically a licensed nutritionist and a chef.
Get ready for one of your new favorite recipes too....

Ingredients:

  • 1 pound rotini (or you could use penne)
  • 4 whole Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
  • Salt And Pepper, to taste
  • 4 Tablespoons Olive Oil
  • 4 cloves Garlic, Minced
  • 3/4 cups Dry White Wine
  • 3/4 cups Low-sodium Broth, More If Needed
  • 1 bag Baby Spinach
  • 2 cups Grape Tomatoes, halved lengthwise
  • Feta for garnish (or shaved parmesan)

Instructions:

Cook pasta according to package directions in lightly salted water. Drain and set aside.
Cut chicken breasts into chunks and sprinkle on salt and pepper.

Heat olive oil over high heat in a large skillet. Add chicken chunks in a single layer and do not stir for a minute or two in order to allow the chicken to brown on the first side. Turn the chicken and brown on the other side. Cook until done, then remove chicken from the skillet.

Turn heat to medium. Add garlic and quickly stir to avoid burning. After about 30 seconds, pour in wine and broth, stirring to deglaze the pan. Allow the liquid to bubble up, then continue cooking until it's reduced by at least half (most of the surface of the liquid should be bubbling at this point.)
Add tomatoes and let cook a couple of minutes to soften.
At this point I like to smash the tomatoes with a fork a little so the juices are added to the sauce. Add spinach, chicken, and cooked pasta to the skillet. Toss to combine. The spinach will wilt as you toss everything. Turn heat off.

Help, I'm wilting......


Dish up in a nice giant bowl. This is so delicious, you’ll want to make sure you have a large enough bowl. If you have fresh basil, garnish with a few chopped leaves. I love feta cheese so I garnish with feta as well. Okay, it’s a little more than a garnish, it’s a heaping helping of feta. Toss the feta in the bowl, it mixes with the sauce and makes a delicious creamy sauce. If you don’t love feta, toss with parmesan shavings. No matter what, garnish with some type of cheese!

Now, do your best to just eat one serving....I lost on that! And I might have added more feta after I took this photo.

3 comments:

  1. OK - I'm still studying this. One pot to cook the chicken and then re-use it to cook the rest and throw it all together, and then a pasta pot? I like the less to clean recipes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, that's what I did. Cooked chicken, removed then used the same pan to cook tomatoes and other stuff. And of course, the pasta pot. I'm all about less of a mess too! Hope you guys enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Making this tonight. :-D

    ReplyDelete