Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Beef Tenderloin

I’m so excited! I cooked my first beef tenderloin and it turned out delicious! Well, it was a bit of a struggle, but eventually it turned out perfect! There may have been a second degree burn issue and I might have pulled it out of the oven about 5 times to check it. See, I’m here to help you so you don’t have to make the mistakes I did. First rule of thumb, if you put a meat thermometer in the meat while it’s cooking, it WILL be hot and burn your skin! Do not attempt to remove without an oven mitt! That was my first mistake. Ouch, my thumb still hurts! Let’s not focus on that, let’s get back to the best piece of meat you will ever put in your mouth!
Every year at Christmastime, we go to FL to see my in-laws. Grandy always makes the best beef tenderloin EVER for Christmas Eve dinner. It melts in your mouth. I’m not even kidding, it is so delicious. I’ve wanted to make a tenderloin, but always see them in the store and think they are a little too pricey. Well, we finally pulled the trigger and bought one so we could taste the heavenly goodness at home.  I was so proud, after all the mishaps, it was the most delicious thing we’ve ever tasted! I think I heard the angels sing as we took our first bite. I’m happy to teach you how to make the best beef tenderloin you’ll ever taste too.
Ingredients:
One whole beef tenderloin (4-5 pounds) – we cut ours in half so we’ll have it again soon
olive oil
salt & pepper
poultry seasoning
4 Tablespoons of butter
Directions:
First of all, rinse and trim the extra fat off your loin. You’ll want to leave some fat because fat is just tasty. Use a sharp knife and cut as closely as you can to the meat. You could also ask the butcher to do this for you, but I did a little trimming of my own. My husband didn’t want too much removed.
He loves a little extra fat.....that’s why I married him. :-)
Coat the loin with olive oil, then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Now here comes the part that will sound strange, sprinkle poultry seasoning on both sides. Don’t ask me why, Grandy does it and hers was the best tasting tenderloin I’ve ever had.....until I made it myself! Just do it!
Now this is the part the Pioneer Woman taught me. I pick up stuff from all over and just combine it to make the best possible dish. Back to Ree, she says to sear it first in an iron skillet so I did! Pour a little olive oil in an iron skillet and get good and hot. When it’s hot, place the tenderloin in the frying pan to sear it. Throw a couple of tablespoons of butter into the skillet. Don’t put this in before you put the meat it, the pan will get too smoky. A minute or two later, when one side is starting to turn nice and brown, flip and repeat.
Place the tenderloin on an oven pan with a rack. Put several tablespoons of butter all over the meat (another suggestion by the Pioneer Woman). Stick the long needle of the thermometer lengthwise into the meat. Place it in a 450-degree oven until the temperature reaches just under 140 degrees, about 45 minutes to an hour. Stay near the oven and keep checking the meat thermometer to make sure it doesn’t overcook. Caution: thermometer WILL be hot!

Remove the loin from the oven when it reaches your desired temperature. Cover with foil and let meat stand ten minutes or so before slicing. Now slice and experience a little bit of heaven! No kidding, this is the best thing you’ll ever eat! Delish!

How beautiful does that look???

3 comments:

  1. How did I miss this one!?!? Definitely going to try. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love, love, tenderloin cooked this way, but have been so scared to try it. I took it out of the oven to check it a few too many times, but it still turned out great! Let me know how yours turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bought a tenderloin today for later this week. :) (holy cow - $78) Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete