Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Gingered Fruit Salad

You might be thinking “what do I need a fruit salad recipe for?” Well let me tell you, you need this one. My cousin brought this to our family Christmas celebration a few years ago and it was delicious. I couldn’t figure out what made the fruit taste so delicious, but now I know, it’s the crystallized ginger. It really wakes up the fruit and makes it taste so much brighter and delicious! I know I ask you to do this a lot, but trust me! The fresh lime juice and ginger really make this fruit taste so much better than you ever thought it could. You could really use any type of fruit, but these make a very pretty salad. I forgot about the pomegranate so my picture doesn’t show it, but it really adds a nice touch. Let’s make it:

Combine 1/4 cup sugar, 2 Tablespoons lime juice, 2 Tablespoons ginger ale and 1 tsp. grated lime zest and reserve.

Mix in a pretty glass bowl:
4 cups cubed fresh pineapple, cubed
3 cups strawberries (quartered)
3 kiwis (peeled, halved lengthwise, sliced)
1 cup raspberries
1 cup blueberries
1 cup pomegranate seeds
1 cup blackberries
3 Tablespoons chopped crystallized ginger
Pour lime juice mixture over fruit and toss a bit. Serve cold and enjoy!

This recipe was from my cousin, Karen Jetton, who passed away this year. I've been saving an email from her with this recipe from 2006 so I think she'd probably be happy I finally made it......and that I gave her credit!

No comments:

Post a Comment