Sunday, January 27, 2013

Chunky Potato Soup w/Ham

We love soup around here and homemade soup is even better. I love potato soup, but what would make potato soup even better??? Hmmmmm.....let me see....oh ham! Not spam, Ham! Potato and ham is such a great combination, especially in soup! I made a ham for New Years’ Day and needed something to do with the left-overs so I pulled this recipe out and wondered why it was in hiding. I have so many recipes, I forget about what I have. This is an oldie but a goodie. I created this recipe by pulling together the best of many potato soup recipes. Again, I’ve done all of the work for you to bring you the best potato and ham recipe you will ever find! I’m not kidding. We just had a bowl of this soup for dinner and my husband was going on and on about how flavorful this soup is. I think you should take his recommendation and give this soup a try. Let’s get started:
Ingredients:
3-4 large potatoes (I used red)
1 medium onion
4 cups chicken broth
3 Tablespoons butter
2 1/2 cups milk
3 Tablespoons flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 cup swiss cheese
2 cups diced ham
2 large carrots, thinly sliced
2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
2 Tablespoons fresh parsley
Instructions:
Sautee’ onion, garlic, celery and carrots until onion is clear.
Add potatoes and broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, simmer 15-20 minutes or until veggies are tender. Lightly mash. I used the back of a soup ladle to just mash the potatoes a bit.
Meanwhile, in a saucepan, melt butter, then stir in flour until smooth. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil. Continuing cooking and stirring for about 2 minutes or until the mixture is thick. Pour milk into potato mixture. Add ham. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Add parsley, salt and pepper. Turn heat off and stir in cheese. Garnish with fresh parsley. This is so hearty and delicious! Enjoy now and left overs later.

No comments:

Post a Comment