Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Perfect Beef Stew

 
This is the perfect time of year for soups and stews and this is one delicious beef stew recipe. I’m not exaggerating, you’ll love it! This is a combination of my Daddy’s recipe, my friend, The Pioneer Woman (she told me to add beer, not my Daddy!), and a recipe I found on All Recipes. I believe I have taken the best parts of each of these and created the perfect recipe for you. See, I’m so helpful. I did all the hard work, now you just make this one and thank me later.
 
Let’s get started. Here’s what you need to make awesome beef stew....and don’t drink the beer while you are chopping your veggies.
 
Ingredients:
 
  • 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
  • 1 Tablespoon Butter
  • 2 pounds Stew Meat
  • 1 whole Medium Onion, Diced
  • 3 cloves Garlic, Minced
  • 1 can Beer, 12 Ounce Can
  • 4 cups Beef Stock (or 4 Cups Water + 4 Beef Bouillon Cubes)
  • 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
  • 2 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
  • 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon Paprika
  • 2 teaspoons dried Rosemary
  • 2 teaspoons dried Parsley
  • 1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
  • 4 whole Carrots, Washed, Unpeeled, cut into 1 inch pieces
  • 4 whole New Potatoes, diced
  • 4 stalks celery, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
  • Minced Parsley for garnish (optional)
 
Directions:
 
Heat oil and butter in a large pot over medium-high heat. Cut meat in nice bite size pieces. Flour meat and brown in two batches, setting aside on a plate when brown. 

Add diced onions to the pot.

Yes, throw the onions in there with all the brown bits. Stir, scraping up all the yummy bits, and cook for two or three minutes until softened, then add garlic and cook for another minute.
Pour in beer (don’t drink it) 
The beer fizzes in the pot

and beef stock, then add Worcestershire, tomato paste, paprika, rosemary, parsley, salt, and pepper. Add beef back into the pot. Stir to combine. Cover and simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
The liquid should cook down to a thicker state. If it gets too thick/reduces too much, add additional water (or beef broth) as needed.
Here’s where I do my own little thing that you don’t have to do, but I like to make sure my veggies get really soft so I sauté them a little in a pan and then add to the pot. This step is optional. I’ve bitten into too many crunchy veggies in soup to take this chance anymore. I didn’t pre-cook the potatoes and they were fine. I guess that point might be that they all would have been fine. Maybe I won’t dirty another pan next time.

I think I'll make my carrots chunkier next time too
Leave the skin on and throw these right in the pot
Add carrots and potatoes, then cover and cook for an additional 30 minutes to an hour. If stew gets dry, just add a cup of hot water at a time to replenish the liquid. I never needed to add more liquid. I cooked it another hour plus and it was so perfect. I stirred it quite a few times as it was cooking too. I did check the seasoning and added a little more salt and pepper. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.



It's perfect now, nice thick gravy with soft veggies. The perfect one pot meal!

Serve it up and enjoy. I think this goes best with Jiffy corn muffins. There’s no need to make homemade cornbread, Jiffy makes the best there is!  Sprinkle with minced parsley, if desired. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment