Sunday, December 30, 2012

My Daddy's Delicious Divinity

One of my favorite candies in the whole wide world is my Daddy’s Divinity. It tastes like a little touch of heaven. So delicious, my mouth is watering thinking about those little white clouds melting in my mouth. Well, I’ve had other divinity and it tastes nothing like the perfection my Daddy has made for years. I needed to get in on this little secret. How appropriate that this is my first blog for 2013! This Christmas I had the pleasure of learning how to make divinity with my Daddy. He gave me a candy thermometer and the recipe years ago, but I’ve been scared to try it on my own. I didn’t know what hard ball and soft ball stage means.....well, I do now! Paula Deen tried to teach me, but there’s nothing like being in the kitchen with your Daddy making your favorite candy. He is the best baker in the world, so after this lesson I’m certain I can make this on my own now. I’ll be sure to come back and let you know how my first solo effort goes, but for now, here’s the lesson from my Daddy. It was a lot easier than I thought it would be too. Don’t be afraid, you can do it too. Before we get started, take a look at how old this recipe of my Dad's is. As you can see, this recipe has been around a while.
Let’s get started with these 3 easy steps.
1.  Stir 2 cups sugar into ½ cup corn syrup, ½ cup water, dash salt till dissolved.  Boil to  medium-ball stage (240 degrees).



 Slowly pour 1/3 of sugar mixture over 2 stiff-beaten egg whites, beating constantly while pouring. This is when a stand mixer comes in handy.


That's my sweet Daddy
2. Cook remaining syrup to very hard-ball stage (265 degrees). Test: Add several drops to water.  Mixture will form a firm ribbon that bends when lifted from water. Beat syrup in candy mixture, continue beating until firm.



3.  When mixture holds its shape when dropped from a spoon, add 1    teaspoon vanilla. At this point, we added 1/2 cup of chopped pecans.


Drop from teaspoon onto a greased cookie sheet. Swirl each piece to a peak. Daddy could make a swirl, I just make a pile. We use two teaspoons to help spoon the mixture onto the wax paper or cookie sheet.


Double cooking takes longer, but it’s a failure proof way to make fluffy divinity. Let the divinity to dry fully, takes a couple of hours, then it is ready to enjoy!

Tip: did you know you shouldn't make divinity on rainy or humid days?? Yep, learned that from my Daddy and he's the expert!

No comments:

Post a Comment