Sunday, December 23, 2012

Crockpot Chocolate Candy - Yes, it's true!



Yes, this is actual delicious chocolate candy that is made in the crockpot! I know this is going to sound crazy, but just keep reading.  Don’t give up on it just yet. It was so easy and so delicious! Who knew you could make yummy candy in the crockpot?? I had no idea until my friend, Trisha Yearwood, taught me how. Thank goodness I still have time to watch the Food Network! I was watching her show last weekend and she made this candy with a friend of hers (not me, another friend) and I immediately ran out to buy the ingredients and give it a try. I also had never heard of almond bark, but what the heck, Trisha said to buy it so I did! Are you dying to know how to make it now?? I think you are. Okay, here’s the recipe: 

Ingredients:

2 pounds salted dry-roasted peanuts (this seemed like a lot of nuts so I might cut it back next time and mix it up with pecans). You could also just use whatever type of nut floats your boat.

4 ounces German's sweet chocolate (about 4 squares)

One 12-ounce package semisweet chocolate chips (about 2 cups)

2 1/2 pounds white almond bark


Directions:


Put the peanuts in the bottom of a 4-quart slow cooker. Layer the chocolate over the peanuts, beginning with the sweet chocolate, followed by the chocolate chips and then the almond bark. Set the temperature on low and cook for 3 hours. Do not stir the mixture. Tip: you might want to use a crockpot liner so you don’t have a chocolaty mess to clean up afterwards.



After 3 hours*, stir the mixture with a wooden spoon until smooth. Drop the candy into cupcake pan liners using about 2 tablespoons per liner. Allow the candy to cool completely before removing the cupcake liners.  *Now here is a disclaimer – I read several reviews of this recipe online and many said the nuts burned in their crockpot. Mine was perfectly fine, but maybe check after 1 ½ hours to 2 hours to make sure. If it’s all melted and you can stir it, go ahead and serve it up!
Mix well and get all the nuts covered in that yummy chocolate.


Here are some ideas I’m going to add next time too…..I think I’ll stick a caramel square in the cupcake liners and spoon the chocolate around it. That would be a yummy turtle treat! I also might get some peppermint candy to sprinkle on top after I scoop it out so it will be pretty. And lastly I was even thinking of putting a small York peppermint patty in the bottom of the liner and scooping the chocolate on top. Now that would be over the top!! So many ways to mix this recipe up.


Doesn't that look yummy?? As you can see, it is a lot of nuts, not that it's a bad thing, but I might cut it back next time.

These make such nice gifts and treats for your friends and they think you went to so much trouble, but it was really sooooo easy. Shhhhh…..that will be our little secret. I used Christmas cupcake liners and wrapped a couple up in cute paper and gave as gifts. Doesn’t it look cute? you could use mini liners and make so many more!  I think anyone would love to receive this treat, or just enjoy them yourself, but I must warn you…..this makes about 50-60 pieces. Add almond bark to your shopping list and make some now!


Merry Christmas!

1 comment:

  1. What about a Reese p/b cup in the bottom!? Yum!

    ReplyDelete