Sunday, June 24, 2012

Shrimp, Tomato & Feta Bake - My Fav!

Okay, this is one of my all time favorite recipes! Yeah  yeah, I might have said that a couple of other times, but this time I REALLY mean it! Anytime someone asks me for a suggestion for dinner, this is my go-to recipe. I’ve pretty much shared this one with everyone I know. Hopefully there are many more readers who will fall in love with this one too. If you like the flavor combination of tomatoes with feta cheese, then you will love this one!  If you don’t like tomatoes and feta, stop reading! I found this on cooking.com many years ago and made a few changes until I felt it was perfect. I’d say it’s pretty darn perfect now. Give it a try and let me know if you feel the same way.....I think you will. Man, this is a good one!
Of course, I recommend serving with some crusty french bread so you can sop up the sauce. You definitely do not want that going to waste! Okay, let’s get started.

INGREDIENTS
1 1/2 pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined (I used about 20-25 large frozen shrimp)
salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 small yellow onion, chopped, or 6 green onions, chopped
4 cloves garlic, finely minced
Pinch of ground cayenne pepper, optional
2 tablespoons dried oregano
2 cans diced tomatoes (I used the seasoned ones)
1 small can of tomato sauce
1/2 pound feta cheese, crumbled
1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
Angel hair pasta
DIRECTIONS
Preheat an oven to 450 degrees F or preheat a broiler or grill.
Sprinkle the shrimp with salt and black pepper. In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, warm 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Add the shrimp and saute, stirring briskly, until pink and beginning to curl, 2-3 minutes. I also do this step with frozen shrimp so it warms it up a little. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the shrimp to a oven proof dish. Of if using a pan that go go into the oven also, reserve the shrimp and put them back in the same pan. This is what I did so it was a one pan meal. Easy clean up!

In the same pan over medium heat, warm the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add the yellow onion or green onions and saute until tender, about 8 minutes (I used yellow onion).
Add the garlic, cayenne (if using), and oregano and sauté for 2 minutes longer. Add the tomato sauce and diced tomatoes and simmer until thickened slightly, about 2 minutes longer. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
Meanwhile, bring pasta water to boil and cook angel hair pasta. I prefer the angel hair, but you can serve over spaghetti squash to be healthier or the pasta of your choosing.
Pour the sauce over the shrimp or put shrimp back in pan with tomato mixture if using the same pan. Then sprinkle the feta over the top. Bake or broil until the cheese melts, 5-8 minutes if baking or 3-5 minutes if broiling.



Sprinkle the dish with the parsley and serve over pasta. You will definitely thank me for this one! Here's a close up, look how delicious it looks. My mouth is watering! Enjoy....

No comments:

Post a Comment