Monday, June 18, 2012

Bruschetta with Peppers and Feta

 
More fun party food thanks to my new Barefoot Contessa cookbook! I am finding so many awesome recipes in her cookbook. I love red peppers so when I saw this bruschetta recipe I had to give it a try. My girlfriend, Ina, made it with gorgonzola cheese, but I used feta because red peppers and feta are the perfect combination. Maybe I should give Ina that tip!
 
I also used a smaller baguette so it would be easier finger food. Everyone seemed to love them so I think you should give it a try too! Here’s what you need to do.....

Ingredients

  • olive oil
  • 1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced into thin strips
  • 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and sliced into thin strips
  • 1/2 teaspoon sugar
  • 1 tablespoon capers, drained
  • 2 tablespoons julienned fresh basil leaves
  • Kosher salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • Baguette
  • 3 ounces (ish) of feta (or if you want to be like Ina you can use gorgonzola)

Directions

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Slice peppers

If you use a small baguette, slice the peppers in half. Mine were a little too long.
Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a medium saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the peppers and cook until soft, about 12 to 15 minutes. Sprinkle with the sugar and continue cooking for 2 more minutes. Stir in the capers and basil, and season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Set aside.
Slice the baguette crosswise into 18 thin round slices. Brush the bread rounds lightly with olive oil on 1 side. Arrange them in rows, oil side up, on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper (optional, Ina loves parchment paper) and toast in the oven until lightly browned, about 7 to 10 minutes.
Top each toast round with a teaspoonful of the pepper mixture. Place a few pieces of cheese  on top.

Return the toast to the oven for 1 to 2 minutes and warm through. Serve immediately and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment