Friday, June 8, 2012

French Dip with Easy Au Jus (yes, I made au jus!)

Two words....DE-LISH!!! These are a real party pleaser and a hubby pleaser. So easy and so delicious. Who knew I could make such a yummy French Dip sandwich at home AND get this......wait for it......I made my own au jus! Can you even believe it??? I certainly never thought those words would come out of my mouth....”would you like some homemade au jus to go with your French Dip”. But I made it so I made sure to let everyone know! :-)
I have found so many great recipes on Pinterest, as you keep hearing me say, but there are even more wonderful things you can do with a can of crescent rolls. Who knew?? I’m going to make sure I always have some on hand from now on. These are so easy, let’s chat about it. Here’s what you’ll need to get started:
Ingredients:
  • 2 packages crescent rolls, 8 count
  • 1 pound deli roast beef, thinly sliced. I used Hillshire Farms pre-packaged that comes in the container with the red lid.
  • 4 ounces Swiss or provolone cheese, cut in 16 equal sized pieces. Or you can use swiss slices and cut each slice into thirds. Each sandwich will use 1/3 slice.
  • optional: Horseradish Sauce (I omitted this because I’m not crazy about it on sandwiches, but I’m sure my hubby would have loved it)
  • optional: Au Jus for dipping. I wouldn't leave this out! (see recipe below)
French Dip Crescent Directions:
  1. Unroll crescents onto a large cookie sheet.
  2. Spread a small dab of horseradish on each crescent, then place a slice of roast beef and a piece of cheese on each crescent. If you are using the thinly sliced lunch meat, use 2-3 slices per roll.
  3. Roll crescents starting from the wide end and ending at the narrow end.
  4. Bake at 375 degrees for 11 to 13 minutes, until crescents are a golden color.
Serve with Au Jus and enjoy!

Sorry I don't have pictures of the process of making the sandwich, but it's very simple, I think you'll do a great job!
Would you like to really step it up with your own homemade au jus?? I highly recommend it. It does take a little prep time though. It's at least an hour so if you don't have the time, skip it and they'll still be yummy.
The dipping sauce was a big hit! Here we go:
Easy Au Jus Ingredients:
  • olive oil, just enough to saute
  • 1/4 cup red onion, chopped (I had a white onion and just used that)
  • 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
  • 1/8 cup white wine
  • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 1/2 cups beef broth
  • 1 teaspoon flour

Easy Au Jus Directions:
  1. Caramelize the onions in a small amount of olive oil. Add garlic and cook for a minute or two more.
  2. Deglaze the pot with white wine, then add Worcestershire sauce and cook for another minute, stirring constantly.
  3. Add beef broth and bring to a light boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes.
  4. Strain broth and then return it to pot. Add flour and simmer an additional 5 minutes.

These were so delicious with a little side of individual au jus! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment