Thursday, June 28, 2012

Easy Blueberry Scones

 
Who knew I could make scones??? I’m so excited to find out that I can!! I love to eat them, but always thought they were pretty complicated to make. Nope, don’t believe it. This recipe was pretty easy. I made these this morning and might make another batch this afternoon to try a lower fat version. I’ll let you know how that turns out, but what I can tell you now is that these scones are to die for! My husband and I both ate two scones each. We couldn’t stop ourselves. They were warm out of the oven and just taunting us with their aroma! We tried them with and without the glaze, but the glaze just really pushes them over the edge! It really adds that nice lemony flavor and makes them a touch sweeter. There are only 3 tablespoons of sugar in these so the added sweetness from the glaze is nice. Oh, but I guess the cup of heavy cream might do a little sweetening, huh? Shhhhh.....don’t tell the hubby they have that much cream in them. I had him convinced that they were low fat because of the tiny amount of sugar. He just lost 40 pounds and watches what he eats now. Well, he didn’t ask if there was heavy cream in them so why would I tell him??? They were so good so I’m sure he would say they were worth every calorie!
 
So is your mouth watering yet? Are you dying to know how to make easy scones?? Here you go.....
 
Ingredients:
  • 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 3 tablespoons sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 5 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch cubes (or I grated mine)
  • 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
  • 1 cup blueberries
  • 1 cup heavy cream
Icing
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 3/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
Directions:

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

Place flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Process with six 1-second pulses. If you don’t have a food processor (like me), then just put it in a large bowl and whisk ingredients together.

Remove cover of food processor and sprinkle the butter evenly over the dry ingredients. Add the grated lemon zest. Cover and process with 12 1-second pulses. Again, no food processor? Do it my way......I grated the cold butter over the dry ingredients and then incorporated it well with a pastry cutter. A whisk would do the same trick.

Transfer dough to a large bowl (unless you are already using one instead of food processor. In that case, you are already there). Mix in blueberries gently, just incorporate. Add heavy cream and mix until dough begins to form.

Gently knead dough by hand until it comes together into a rough ball, about 10 seconds.

To shape the scones, lightly dust an 8-inch cake pan and press dough into the pan, then turn the dough onto a lightly floured work surface.


With a sharp knife, cut the dough into 8 wedges.



Place wedges on an ungreased baking sheet (or lined with parchment paper) and bake in preheated oven 14 to 17 minutes or until tops of scones are a light brown.

Some of the blueberries might burst during the mixing and shaping process, that's okay. You can see some of my expolded a little.

Transfer to a wire rack for at least 10 minutes before serving.

While the scones are cooling, make lemon glaze. Combine lemon juice and confectioners’ sugar until you achieve a thick, opaque icing. If the glaze is too thick, add a little milk or a splash of the heavy cream. Drizzle over scones.

Enjoy one while they are still warm. Delicious!

2 comments:

  1. I made these scones tonight. They were delicious! Thank you for breaking it down with pictures. I don't have a food processor, or a pastry cutter, but you helped me around those difficulties, so thank you! Your post made scones not seem terrifying to make. :)
    -Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad this was helpful Beth! I've always thought scones were so difficult, but they really weren't.. Glad you found out the same. Thanks for responding....keep on reading!

    ReplyDelete