Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Brussel Sprouts



Who would have thunk it?? I'm writing a blog about brussel sprouts! People will be shocked and amazed, but it's true....I like brussel sprouts! I'm not going to get crazy and say I love them, but I do like them. I've made them at home a couple of times and I've even ordered them at restaurants. My parents will be most surprised since I pretty much only ate corn on the cobb and french style green beans growing up. I was a picky child, but I'm all grown up now and can make brussel sprouts! Are you impressed? You should be.

My hubby prefers the brussel sprouts a little soft so I found this recipe from a friend of mine, Rachel Ray. Thanks Rach!


Ingredients:

3 slices bacon, chopped
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
1 shallot, chopped (I used a small onion because I never have shallots)
1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts, trimmed, small sprouts left whole, larger sprouts halved
Salt and pepper
1 cup chicken broth

Directions:

Brown bacon in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Remove bacon to a paper towel-lined plate.

Trim brussel sprouts and cut in half. Aren't they just a cute little veggie??






Add EVOO to the pan, about one turn of the pan. Add shallots to the pan and
sauté 1-2 minutes. Add Brussels spouts and coat in EVOO.


Season with salt and pepper. Cook Brussels sprouts 2-3 minutes until they begin to soften, then add broth. Bring broth to a bubble, cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook 10 minutes, until tender.

Transfer sprouts to a serving dish with a slotted spoon and top with cooked bacon bits.

 
This was a quick and easy and most delicious dish. The hubby was very pleased!

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry, you say you WERE a picky eater? how long has it been since I saw you? ;-) And i can wholeheartedly say that I love brussels sprouts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. also, the only thing missing from this recipe is garlic. I think i'll rustle some up this weekend.

    ReplyDelete