Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Easy Crockpot Chicken Stock



It seems that I am always using chicken stock these days. Who knew that when you started trying out more recipes that you would go through so much stock?? Well, I had no idea, but it is great to have it on hand when you need it. I was getting tired of constantly buying it and remembered that one of my friends, Ina (aka The Barefoot Contessa) showed me how to make easy homemade stock. She made hers on the stovetop, Ina probably doesn’t own a crockpot, but she should! It’s one of the best inventions known to mankind! I love love love mine! Can you tell??  This is so easy. If you aren’t already making your own stock, you’ll wonder why. They greatest thing about it is that you can use all the left over chicken bones, neck, livers, whatever parts you aren’t using to make the stock. I usually do this after I’ve cooked a whole chicken. I’ll save all of the bones, neck and any skin that as discarded and throw it in the crockpot. However, If I know I’m going to be making something with the whole chicken like chicken noodles soup, then I’ll use the whole chicken and kill two birds with one stone….no pun intended. Well, maybe a little. Okay, let’s get started:

                                                                                    
Ingredients:

1 whole chicken – or left over pieces and parts
2-3 large yellow onions, just cut in half. Nope, you don’t have to peel.
4-6 carrots, unpeeled and halved
4 stalks celery with leaves attached, cut in half
A bunch of fresh parsley (if you have it)
10ish sprigs of fresh thyme
1 head garlic, unpeeled and cut in half
1 Tablespoon sea salt
1 Tablespoon whole peppercorns
2 bay leaves

 

Directions:

 
Place the chicken or pieces and parts in the crockpot (or in pot on stovetop). Throw in everything else and cover with water. Turn the crockpot on low and cook for 6 – 8 hours. I usually turn it on when I go to bed, turn if off in the morning, let it cool for a few hours and then strain. After it has cooled, strain the entire contents of the pot through a colander and discard all the solids left behind. At this point, you can chill overnight so that you can remove the fat on the surface, but I’m usually to impatient for that. I go ahead and pour into containers and remove the fat each time I pull out a container. These will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months, but I’m sure I’ve pushed the limit on that.

 

My crockpot isn’t huge and this is a perfect sized batch for us. I usually get 12-14 cups out of a batch. I freeze in 2 cup containers or zip lock bags and make sure I always have one thawed in the fridge. I’m sure this is obvious, but if you are pouring in zip lock bags, make sure the stock is cooled thoroughly.

 
Now you can make your own broth too! Enjoy!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment