Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Cinnamon Muffins w/ Crumb Topping


One thing I love is cinnamon! It makes everything better. Toast, muffins, apple pie, or any apple, ok really anything! I could go on an on, but I think you get it. Yes, I love cinnamon. Luckily the hubby loves it almost as much as I do. If he didn't, I might be telling stories about the ex-husband. Just kidding. Love you bunches honey!

We are snowed in today so I needed something to do. Don't make fun of us. We live in the south and don't drive in the snow, even if it's just an inch or two. It's our reality and I'm fine with it. I bought a few bags of cinnamon chips over the holidays and have been dying to make something with them. I couldn't find a good recipe online, so I just thought I should try to alter my blueberry muffin recipe since it was so yummy. Well, I created another masterpiece! That's right, I'm bragging. These are some mighty fine muffins, especially hot out of the oven. Let's get to baking....

Ingredients for muffins:

1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Dash salt

2 cups cinnamon chips

Topping:

1/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons cold butter

In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the milk. Combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt; add to creamed mixture just until moistened. Fold in cinnamon chips.

The batter looks and tates yummy!

For topping, combine sugar, flour and cinnamon. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. I like to grate the cold butter, it's easier to incorporate.


Fill paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full or just grease your muffin tins with cooking spray. I went without cups this time and they were perfect. Sprinkle a rounded teaspoonful of the topping over each muffin.


After I spooned the topping on I sprinkled a little cinnamon on each. More couldn't hurt, right??


Bake at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in muffin comes out clean. I cooked mine for about 22 minutes so start checking after 20 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.  If you can wait 5 minutes. I couldn't and burned the roof of my mouth a little....but it was worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment