Monday, February 11, 2013

Apple Dumplings


Don't let my poor photography skills deter you, this is the perfect treat!
I was feeling like I needed to try a new dessert today so I got out my new cookbook that the hubby gave me for Christmas, The Pioneer Woman. Love it! Ree and I are such good friends, so I thought I should make something that she recommends. Well many things caught my eye, but I love me some apple pie and this apple dumpling recipe sounded de-licious! I love, love, love apple pie and all things baked with apples. If you are a reader of my blog, you know this about me. I was a little skeptical about one of her ingredients, but she said to use it, so I did. If I can cook with Mountain Dew, then you can too. Yes, you read that right, this apple dumpling recipe has Mountain Dew in it! Sounds crazy I know, but trust me, try this and you will thank me later. I can’t wait for you to try these little heavenly morsels and tell me how much you love them too. They are so delicious! David and I almost finished the whole pan in one night.....just the two of us. Don't judge us! You'll do the same. Okay, I’ll share mine and Ree’s recipe with you:
 
Ingredients:
  • 2 whole Granny Smith Apples, peeled
  • 2 cans (8 Oz. Cans) Crescent Rolls
  • 2 sticks Butter
  • 1-1/2 cup Sugar
  • 1 – 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla
  • Cinnamon, To Taste
  • 1 can (12 Oz.) Mountain Dew Soda (I used 8 ounces, because I was scared to use the whole can)
Directions:
Peel and core apples. Cut each apple into 8 slices each. Roll each apple slice in a crescent roll. 

Place in a 9 x 13 buttered pan.



Melt butter, then add sugar and barely stir. You want this mixture to be grainy so don't dissolve the sugar. Add vanilla, stir, and pour entire mixture over apples.
 
Now here’s the crazy part.....Pour Mountain Dew around the edges of the pan. Stop shaking your head and just do it! Sprinkle generously with cinnamon. 


Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. You could serve with ice cream, and spoon some of the sweet sauces from the pan over the top, but I'll take mine just straight up. But you might still want to spoon the extra sauce over the top. It is so delicious!

    I'll be expecting your thank you notes in the mail!

No comments:

Post a Comment