Monday, October 1, 2012

Chocolate Coma Cake


If there is one thing my husband loves, it’s a chocolate cake! More precisely, THIS chocolate cake recipe. I hope he loves me as much as he loves this chocolate cake, but I’m honestly not so sure. I should probably find out! This cake is so rich, chocolaty, delicious and super easy. There is virtually no measuring, just dump all the ingredients and mix. I’ve included the size of containers so you don’t have to measure it out.  How much easier can that get? I’m here to help you out and show you how to make the best chocolate cake you’ve ever tasted! 

But what is even better than this being my husbands favorite is the fact that I actually got to share this recipe with my dad. He is probably the best baker I've ever met, literally. Probably because he stayed home from school to sick to bake with his mama. That's a story for another time though. Bless his heart. He isn't a fan of chocolate, I'm not sure what's wrong with him, but I told him he should make this cake for their Christmas party they have every year. He was hesitant, but made it and now it's his most requested dessert. You're welcome Daddy! :-)

This is not an exaggeration, it is awesome and literally will put you in a chocolate coma! I took this to a party this weekend and everyone raved over it. The almond extract gives it a distinct flavor. I have a little left over cake from the weekend, after writing this blog I'm going to chow down on it now!

INGREDIENTS

1 package chocolate cake mix  (18 1/4 ounces)
1 3.9-ounce package instant chocolate pudding mix
2 cups sour cream (16 oz container)
5 large eggs
1 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
1 teaspoon of almond extract
2 cups milk chocolate chips (1 bag of 11.5 oz chips)

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a Bundt pan. If you don’t have a Bundt pan, a 13 X 9" pan will do. (but reduce the baking time by ten minutes)
Mix all ingredients except chocolate chips until completely blended. Add chocolate chips and finish blending.


Even the batter looks delicious.....and it tastes delicious too!
Immediately place in prepared Bundt pan. Place in oven and cook for 50 to 55 minutes. Cool ten minutes before removing from pan.

Be sure to let it stay in the pan the full ten minutes to cool before you flip it over. I've had it fall apart on me because it is so hot and heavy so be careful!


It makes a nice large cake!
Now you can choose to dust the cake with powder sugar for a lovely presentation, drizzle with a warm chocolate sauce or really kick it up a notch and make the icing below. I’ve dusted and drizzled, but my husband prefers the over-the-top version with the icing. I’ll have to admit, it is pretty darn good. Here’s how to make the icing:

CHOCOLATE FROSTING

INGREDIENTS
3 cups sifted powdered sugar, divided
2/3 cup baking cocoa
1/2 (1 stick) butter or margarine, softened
5 to 6 Tablespoons milk, divided
1 teaspoon vanilla extract


DIRECTIONS
Beat 1 cup powdered sugar, cocoa, butter, 2 T milk and vanilla in a bowl until creamy. Gradually beat in remaining sugar and milk until smooth.

Look how pretty the cake looks frosted. Make this and thank me later!

1 comment:

  1. Hello - I made the cake, and it came out wonderful! Days later it is still moist. I did not do the frosting this time, because I was selling it (sliced up in baggies) at a charity bake sale. I got a ton of of positive comments. I had one slice while it was still warm with a little milk - WOW! Ultimate comfort dessert.

    ReplyDelete