Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Cilantro Lime Rice

 
Hello, my name is Dawn and I'm a carboholic! Yes, I love all things rice, pasta and bread! You may have suspected that by reading this blog, but I thought I'd go ahead and confess so I'd feel better. Whew, that did help a little.
 
So the hubby doesn't love rice as much as I do so I try to jazz it up so he won't notice that it's just rice. Shhhhhh. I could have it every other meal, but him, not so much. Well, what's left for me really to do but trick him just a little? Please don't tell him that I'm trying to trick him with jazzed up rice. I don't think he's noticed so mum's the word!
 
We were having some quick and easy burrito's one night last week and I thought, "oh boy, here's a night to throw in a delicious rice dish!" But I even stepped it up a notch this night. See, he loves cilantro so I searched the internet looking for a Mexican rice dish with cilantro. I remembered my friend, The Pioneer Woman, making a similar dish so I set out to find it. Well, hers seemed fine, but I thought I could make it better, so I did. I mean, what does she know with her silly blog and cooking show?? I'm practically a chef! Here's my version of Cilantro Lime Rice. The lime juice really makes this taste fresh and yummy!
 
Ingredients
 
1 Tablespoon olive oil
3 cloves garlic
1 large onion, chopped
2 cups long grain rice
1 teaspoon salt
3-4 cups chicken broth
1 can diced tomatoes with green chilies, I used Rotelle
Juice of 3 limes and zest of 2 (hold back juice of 1 lime for garnish)
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
 
Directions
 
Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and onions and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Reduce heat to low and add the rice and salt. Cook over low heat for 3 minutes, stirring constantly to make sure rice doesn’t burn. Add 2 cups of the broth, tomatoes, and the juice and zest of 2 limes and bring to boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until the rice is done. Add more liquid as needed. I used brown rice so remember you’ll need to cook a little longer and most likely need more liquids as you go. The rice shouldn’t be sticky.
 
 
 
Just before serving stir the juice of 1 lime and cilantro into the rice mixture.
 
Serve with some delicious tacos, burritos, or whatever floats your boat, and enjoy!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment