Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Roasted Squash


Boy have I enjoyed having all the fresh veggies from my Daddy’s garden. I’ve been trying to cook them a few new ways for us so we don’t get bored with them. But seriously, who can get bored of fresh deliciousness?? Squash is one of my favorite vegetables, I love it cooked anyway you can possibly think of. I’ve been roasting a lot of veggies lately, but haven’t ever tried it with squash. Well guess what.....it’s time to roast some squash. Tonight was my lucky night because I found a new favorite way to eat squash. I think roasting is my new favorite way to eat every veggie. I headed to Pinterest to find the perfect recipe. I ended on one of Martha Stewart’s recipes, appropriate right? Of course, I changed it up, but it was a nice start. Thanks Martha, but my version is just a touch better.  Ha! I’m sure she’s never heard that before. Don’t tell her I dissed her on my blog. Let me tell you the best way to eat squash....but first, take a moment to admire my Daddy's garden. A beautiful site!





Now that you've admired let’s get those ingredients together:

 

2 pounds squash – mix yellow with zucchini if you have it

1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil

1 tablespoon sea salt

fresh ground pepper

1/2 cup parmesan cheese

crushed red pepper flakes, just a sprinkle

 

Directions:

 

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Slice squash, about an inch thick. Throw the squash in a large bowl. Add 1/4 cup olive oil, salt, pepper, toss to combine. Once thoroughly coated, add parmesan cheese and mix until evenly coated.

 


Spread squash evenly on baking sheet that has already been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.





Place on middle rack in oven and roast until caramelized, about 12 minutes. Half way through, stir squash and rotate pan. Remove from oven and let cool slightly. Transfer squash to platter, drizzle with 2 T olive oil, season with sea salt and red pepper flakes. Serve immediately.





This was such a great way to prepare squash! I don’t know why I’ve never tried this before, but it certainly won’t be the last! Try it and let me know if you liked it. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment